Monday, February 19, 2007

Operating Cameras


This is what I see most of the time as the Camera Operator for ResLife. My name is Oscar Rohena and as the Camera Operator, I will be the actual person holding the camera when we get to filming the pilot. Patrick, the director, and Leo, the Director of Photography, have informed me that there we will be using mostly hand held for the shoot, so I need to mentally prepare for holding this very heavy camera for hours on end.















For now, I am also working as our on set photographer until we get someone more professional who can shoot while everyone [including me] is doing his or her [very important] job.

During this pre-production period, I am getting trained on the fantastic Panasonic DVCPRO HD [HDC27hp], which shoots in beautiful 720p. This is the first time that I have seen what High Definition can actually look like, and I have to say, it is quite an exciting future we are looking at. Everything looks crisp and detailed, and the fuzziness of Standard Definition cameras are now gone. I don't think our own eyes even see the world in such high definition. It sounds strange, I know, but trust me, you will remember my words the first time you see a true, uncompressed high definition image, on a high definition monitor.















This image, of our DP Consultant/Professor Austin De Besche, is actually from the high def monitor next to the camera, taken through my camera. Austin is usually our stand in, and during this workshop, we were practicing dolly movements, and lighting techniques. He sat in his chair, gave us instructions and we tried following them as best as possible. I am the only one on the dolly along with the camera, and Rich and Dave, Key Grips and 1st AC respectively, push and pull me along, as I try to keep a steady hand and keep the subject within frame, respecting the DP's directions.















It can be really exciting being the camera operator, yet at the same time very intimidating. Getting 'the shot', at the end of the day, is up to me, that is my one and only, very essential job. I'm sure I'll be updating more as the semester goes along, especially adding more pictures from production, and updating in whatever other aspects of production I get involved with.

-Oscar!
Camera Operator

No comments: