Friday, March 16, 2007

Propmaster: Not as Mystical as it May Sound.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, my name is Chris Maggio and I am the prop master/ set decorator on the television progrum Res.Life.

While I might not be able to provide an incredibly interesting blog entry full of animated .gifs and fun flash games, I can at least describe to you what my role on the show is. As you may be able to figure out, I am responsible for obtaining the items we need for props and to decorate our sets. With this responsibility/honor in hand I am also allowed to determine some of the artistic look of the show alongside the help of numerous other crew members.

Although my job is quite extensive and time consuming, when it comes to our Monday preproduction meetings my role is quite reminicent to that of the boy picked last in a game of dodgeball. Much like I would sit in the corner and be bullied by the rugged sportsmen in my local gymnasium, I sit to the side during the camera tests, only occasionally being called on to stand in as an actor. While this experience is much more pleasant than my days in gym class (the absence of "swirlies" being a big factor), it is really our Friday production meetings that bring me the most involvement/joy.

Watching the camera crew practice is actually really cool (I would be lying if I didn't say I was proud and really impressed at all their hard work), but my role is usually a bit more involved at the end of the week. On Fridays we usually sit around a big table and talk about who we have to get in touch with and how we can solve problems plaguing the production. Basically, the two production meetings during the week allow the whole crew to work on different problems, while we all strive to reach the same goal...and as the shooting dates fast approach, this teamwork is insanely necessary!

All we have to do now is figure out how to get our content onto cellular telephonemachines.

-Chris

No comments: