Monday, March 19, 2007

The Sound and The Fury

Greetings, lovers of the world wide web! My name is Alex Swanson, and I'd like to give you little taste of what I do on the grand production that is Res Life. Like many members of the crew, I have multiple yet equally involved positions. First and foremost, I'm what you might call "the sound guy." The fella with the headphones on, fooling around with various knobs, buttons and blinking lights on a small mixer and forcing Elyse to work her rump off, shifting this way and that as boom operator - that's me. Essentially, I help make sure the audio of this show is clean, clear and appropriate for the scene at hand. I have to say, it's been quite fun to fiddle around with the sound equipment, learning the ropes and praying that nothing gets broken or tangled up. The real pressure for me in regards to this particular position hasn't really set in yet, but come shooting time, my ears will have never been so alert!

My second task is that of 2nd assistant director. Right now, this job allows me to sit in on various production meetings, soaking up bits of information involving budget, transportation and casting. From there, I help out with all of these areas of the production in as many ways as possible, from making up transportation maps to making breakfast runs. All in all, it's a great experience, and will be highly beneficial on this production as well as future films and shows.

Well, that's my intro for now. I'll be back soon to give you updates of a more "in the moment" fashion. Do it to it.

Alex

No comments: